ST. PETER — Newly-crowned Section 2 girls tennis team champion and Class A state qualifier Fairmont continued its winning ways during Day 1 of the individual tournament on Friday at the Swanson Indoor Tennis Center on the Gustavus Adolphus College campus.
All four of Fairmont’s entrants, along with one singles netter and one doubles team from Blue Earth Area, gained Wednesday’s upcoming 9 a.m. sectional individual semifinals back inside the domed facility in St. Peter.
“Our girls are playing with a lot of confidence after becoming the first (Fairmont girls tennis) team to reach the state tournament in 25 years on Thursday,” said Cardinals’ head coach Laura Olsen. “Hopefully we can keep that momentum heading into next week.”
Fairmont teammates Claire Nemmers and Briana Joseph will hit the Gustavus Adolphus courts on opposite sides of the elevated viewing area in sectional semifinal singles action during Day 2, while the Cardinals’ tandems of twins Libby and Maggy Totzke, along with Ellie Hernes and Lauren Davis, will be in opposing doubles brackets Wednesday.
Only two singles netters and two doubles combinations from each sectional will advance to the Class A individual state competition that begins at 8 a.m. Thursday, Oct. 28, and ends Friday, Oct. 29, at the Reed-Sweatt Family Tennis Center in Minneapolis.
Nemmers, who netted the No. 2 sectional seed and a first-round bye, will square off against No. 3-seeded Marissa Benz of Blue Earth Area in Day 2 singles play. Nemmers needed only a baker’s dozen-worth of games to eliminate Redwood Valley’s Brooke Zollner in the quarterfinals, 6-0, 6-1, on Friday.
Benz gained the semifinals by shutting out Maple River’s Leah Proehl in straight sets, 6-0, 6-0, in opening-round play before outslugging River Valley’s Kaydince Thoms in a down-to-the-wire slugfest, 7-6, 7-5.
Joseph, who netted the No. 5 seed, qualified for the semifinals by opening with back-to-back 6-0 set wins over United South Central’s Brylee Neubauer before besting River Valley’s Brooklyn Moldan on the strength of a 6-1, 6-1 quarterfinal decision.
Joseph will face No. 1-seeded and state-ranked Jaelyn Haler of St. James Area in Wednesday’s semifinal clash at the Swanson Tennis Center. Haler earned a first-round bye before eliminating Blue Earth Area’s Addison Armstrong in the quarterfinals, 6-3, 6-1.
Armstrong gained the quarterfinals by coasting to consecutive shutout set wins over Maple River’s Kayla Berg.
In the Section 2A doubles bracket, No. 5-seeded Libby Totzke and Maggy Totzke will face No. 1-seeded Sailor Mohlenbrock and Allison Bluedorn of St. James Area in Wednesday’s sectional semifinals at the Swanson Tennis Center.
The Totzke siblings opened Friday’s action with a 6-1, 6-1 victory over USC’s Elizabeth Romano and Lauren Hansen before defeating Maple River’s Macy Sohre and Ally Mersman in the quarterfinals, 6-0, 6-0.
Mohlenbrock and Bluedorn, who netted a first-round bye, outdueled Blue Earth Area’s Grace Hanson and Ella Survis in the quarterfinals, 6-3, 6-4.
Hanson and Survis reached the second round by serving a 6-1, 7-5 opening loss to Redwood Valley’s Ella Stoneberg and Mila Jenniges.
The No. 3-seeded team of Ellie Hernes and Lauren Davis will clash with No. 2-seeded Kylie Rosenau and Olivia Dutton of Blue Earth Area in Wednesday’s doubles semifinals in St. Peter.
Hernes and Davis disposed of Redwood Valley’s Avery Wilson and Anneliese Hammer on the strength of back-to-back 6-0 set victories in first-round action before needing a third set in the quarterfinals to qualify for Day 2.
St. James Area’s Keyana Haler and Eva Romsdahl claimed a 6-4 first set before Davis and Hernes flip-flopped the score in their favor to pocket the second segment by a 6-4 margin. Davis and Hernes then reeled off three consecutive wins to cap a 6-2 third-set victory.
Rosenau and Dutton, who netted a first-round bye, combined court skills to coast to a 6-1, 6-1 quarterfinal triumph over USC’s Macy Zebro and Maya Zebro.
Section 2A Individual
Girls Tennis Meet
Round 1 Results
• Jaelyn Haler (St. James Area), bye
• Addison Armstrong (Blue Earth Area) def. Kayla Berg (Maple River), 6-0, 6-0.
• Briana Joseph (Fairmont) def. Brylee Neubauer (United South Central), 6-0, 6-0.
• Brooklyn Moldan (River Valley) def. Lilly DeBlieck (Redwood Valley), 6-0, 6-0.
• Marissa Benz (Blue Earth Area) def. Leah Proehl (Maple River), 6-0, 6-0.
• Kaydince Thoms (River Valley) def. Mykela Hanson (St. James Area), 6-1, 6-0.
• Brooke Zollner (Redwood Valley) def. Maya Hansen (United South Central), 6-0, 6-0.
• Claire Nemmers (Fairmont), bye.
• Haler (SJA) def. Armstrong (BEA), 6-3, 6-1.
• Joseph (FMT) def. Moldan (River), 6-1, 6-1.
• Benz (BEA) def. Thoms (River), 7-6, 7-5.
• Nemmers (FMT) def. Zollner (Redwood), 6-0, 6-1.
• No. 1 Haler vs. No. 5 Joseph
• No. 3 Benz vs. No. 2 Nemmers
Round 1 Results
• Sailor Mohlenbrock-Allison Bluedorn (St. James Area), bye
• Grace Hanson-Ella Survis (Blue Earth Area) def. Ella Stoneberg-Mila Jenniges (Redwood Valley), 6-1, 7-5.
• Maggy Totzke-Libby Totzke (Fairmont) def. Elizabeth Romano-Lauren Hansen (United South Central), 6-1, 6-1.
• Macy Sohre-Ally Mersman (Maple River) def. Alexis Garza-Brissa Hernandez (River Valley), 6-0, 6-3.
• Ellie Hernes-Lauren Davis (Fairmont) def. Avery Wilson-Anneliese Hammer (Redwood Valley), 6-0, 6-0.
• Keyana Haler-Eva Romsdahl (St. James Area) def. Kelsey Jaeger-Madison Ward (Maple River), 6-0, 6-3.
• Macy Zebro-Maya Zebro (United South Central) def. Erika Lozano-Maya Nelson (River Valley), 6-1, 6-2.
• Kylie Rosenau-Olivia Dutton (Blue Earth Area), bye
• Mohlenbrock-Bluedorn (SJA) def. Hanson-E. Survis, 6-3, 6-4.
• M. Totzke-L. Totzke (FMT) def. Sohre-Mersman (MR) 6-0, 6-0.
• Hernes-Davis (FMT) def. Haler-Romsdahl (SJA), 4-6, 6-4, 6-2.
• Rosenau-Dutton (BEA) def. Macy Zebro-Maya Zebro (USC), 6-1, 6-1.
• No. 1 Mohlenbrock-Bluedorn vs. No. 5 M. Totzke-L. Totzke
• No. 2 Rosenau-Dutton vs. No. 3 Hernes-Davis